There are many reasons choosing a .308 rifle makes sense for a shooter. It’s sufficiently powerful for almost any use, the recoil is tolerable, a variety of ammunition is readily available, and the cartridge fits in a short action receiver.
If you’ve decided on getting a .308 gun, your next step is to navigate the vast options on the market. Luckily, we’ve chosen a few of our favorites to point you in the right direction.
The 11 Top .308 Caliber Rifles of 2021: Outdoor Empire Reviews
These are our top recommendations for .308 rifles in 2021:
- Best budget: Ruger American Predator
- Best for the money: Bergara B14 HMR
- Best for hunting: Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Stainless
- Best bolt action: Remington 700
- Best semi-auto: Daniel Defense AR-10
- Best sniper: Accuracy International AX
- Best tactical: McMillan CS5 Alias
- Best battle: DS Arms FN FAL
1. Best Budget .308 – Ruger American Predator
Ruger has established a reputation for consistently producing quality firearms at working-class prices. In a very saturated rifle market, Rugar has again firmly established their reputation with the American Predator model.
Available at under $400, the American Predator has features that used to be reserved for more expensive firearms. Users report that this rifle commonly shoots groups under 1 inch at 100 yards. This is considered a benchmark for accuracy.
Ruger has managed to create this accuracy at an economical price point by using an aluminum bedding block in the stock. This ingenious change helps to secure the action and free-float the barrel.
At a handy 18 inches, the barrel size allows the rifle maneuverability. At the same time, the length maintains enough velocity to take advantage of the .308 cartridge. The barrel is also threaded 5/8X24 to accept muzzle attachments such as brakes and suppressors. This is a very rare feature in the entry-level market.
Did we mention that the rifle, minus scope and ammo, weighs a scant 6.25 pounds? Other features include a user-adjustable trigger, ergonomic tang-mounted safety, and a 70-degree bolt throw for quick cycling.
Overall, the Ruger American Predator is a great choice for the budget minded shooter who wants an accurate and capable rifle for hunting and target shooting.
- Very budget friendly
- MOA accuracy out of the box
- Comes threaded ready for muzzle attachments
- Molded plastic stock is sometimes reported to feel cheap or flimsy